JERUSALEM (Ma’an) — Israeli police on Wednesday released Hadi al-Ajlouni, 17, after being arrested last week for his activity on social media, the teenager told Ma’an.
Al-Ajlouni was released after paying a fine of 1,000 shekels ($254) and was sentenced to seven days under house arrest. He was also banned from Al-Aqsa Mosque compound for 30 days.
The teenager said he was detained on Friday while leaving his house in the Old City on suspicion of planning an attack on Israelis.
During an interrogation at the Russian Compound detention center, Israeli officers said they suspected him of the charges after he wrote “forgive me” on Facebook.
The teenager said he wrote the post for personal reasons after an argument with his brothers.
“I was accused of planning an attack because on Thursday I wrote ‘forgive me’ on Facebook, but I denied the charges,” he said.
Israeli intelligence officers showed him several posts he had published on his Facebook page since 2010, including one saying “Palestine” and others with pictures of Al-Aqsa Mosque, marches, and the kuffiyeh.
He was interrogated a total of three times during in time in police custody.
In December, eight Palestinians from occupied East Jerusalem were indicted for inciting anti-Jewish violence and supporting “terror” in postings on Facebook, the largest operation yet aimed at halting incitement to violence on social networks.
Israelis on social media routinely and openly incite violence against Palestinians, especially during heightened periods of tensions such as this summer’s military offensive on Gaza, but none have yet faced prosecution.