Occupied: Headlines From Palestine

Blogging From Gaza, Palestine

Israeli Occupation Authorities To Demolish Palestinian Home, Issue Stop Work Order To Another

1 Comment

HEBRON, April 15, 2015 (WAFA) – Israeli Authorities Wednesday notified a Palestinian resident in the village of Dirat to the east of Yatta town in southern Hebron, of intentions to demolish his house, while another local received a notice ordering him to stop the construction work on his home, according to a local activist.

Coordinator of the anti-settlement popular committee in southern Hebron, Rateb al-Jabour, told WAFA that Israeli forces stormed the village and handed Mohammed al-Amour a notice to stop the construction work on his home and threatened to confiscate the building material if he resumed with the construction.

Forces also handed Salah Ahmad Mohammed a notice informing him of their intentions to demolish his home, where he lives with his family.

To be noted, the village of Dirat is surrounded by the illegal Israeli settlement of ‘Haggai’, and a road specifically built for the sole use of settlers residing in nearby illegal settlements built on Yatta town land; which consequently creates instability for Palestinian residents who are constantly harassed by settlers.

The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs OCHA said Israel demolished 390 Palestinian-owned structures in the Jordan valley in 2013, up from 172 the year before. Some 590 Palestinians were displaced last year, compared to 279 in 2012.

“Israel destroyed 590 Palestinian buildings in the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, in 2014, displacing 1,177 people, according to a new study by OCHA.

It said that in three days, from 20 – 22 January 2014, 77 Palestinians, over half of whom were children, became homeless as a result to these demolitions.

It said that, “Israel’s extrajudicial demolitions continue into 2015. In January alone, Israel destroyed 77 buildings belonging to Palestinians in the West Bank, leaving 110 people, roughly half of whom were children, homeless in the cold of the winter.”

UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator James Rawley argued the demolitions violate international law. “Demolitions that result in forced evictions and displacement run counter to Israel’s obligations under international law and create unnecessary suffering and tension,” he said. “They must stop immediately.”

OCHA wrote in an official statement that, “The planning policies applied by Israel in Area C and East Jerusalem discriminate against Palestinians, making it extremely difficult for them to obtain building permits.”

“As a result, many Palestinians build without permits to meet their housing needs and risk having their structures demolished. Palestinians must have the opportunity to participate in a fair and equitable planning system that ensures their needs are met,” it added.

T.R/M.H

Advertisements

Author: OccPalGaza

Blogging from Gaza-current events, news and actions against the Occupation.

One thought on “Israeli Occupation Authorities To Demolish Palestinian Home, Issue Stop Work Order To Another

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s