BETHELEHM (Ma’an) — The Palestinian Authority filed a report on settler violence with the International Criminal Court on Monday, following an arson attack in the West Bank last week that killed an 18-month-old Palestinian toddler.Foreign Minister Riyad al-Maliki told Ma’an that the file was handed over to the ICC’s chief prosecutor Fatou Bensouda during a meeting at the international court’s headquarters in the Hague.According to the PA’s official news agency, Wafa, the meeting discussed a preliminary probe the ICC is conducting on possible war crimes in the occupied Palestinian territories.The probe, which was opened on January, is not a full investigation but an examination of available information to decide whether there is a “reasonable basis” to proceed with an investigation.Maliki told Ma’an that he discussed many important issues relating to the Palestinian cause and recent Israeli violations against Palestinians, adding that it was one of the “best” meetings he had held with Bensouda.According to Wafa, the foreign minister stressed that “the continuation of the Israeli occupation and its policies, including its settlement expansion policy, along with the impunity it grants to settlers,” is encouraging violent attacks such as last week’s arson attack.The 18-month-old toddler, Ali Saad Dawabsha, was killed in a firebombing carried out by Israeli settlers in the West Bank village of Duma south of Nablus on Friday.Israeli settlers reportedly smashed the windows of two homes in the village before throwing flammable liquids and Molotov cocktails inside, killing the toddler who was trapped inside one of the homes and critically injuring his parents and four-year-old brother.The crime has sparked international outrage, although many Palestinians have pointed out that settler attacks against the Palestinian community are common and often go unpunished by the Israeli authorities.Israeli settlers have carried out at least 120 attacks on Palestinians in occupied East Jerusalem and the West Bank since the start of this year, according to the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.Only 1.9 percent of complaints submitted by Palestinians against Israeli settler attacks result in a conviction, the Israeli human rights group Yesh Din reported.The ICC, set up in 2002, is the world’s only permanent independent body to try the most serious crimes of concern to the international community.
Israeli Occupation Fighter Jets Hit Target In Gaza
Israeli fighter jets attacked a target in the Gaza Strip early Thursday morning after a missile fired from the strip hit an open area near the town of Ashkelon in the western Negev, an Israeli army spokesperson told Ma’an. No injuries or damages were reported in Israel and have yet to be confirmed in the Gaza Strip.
Palestinian Government Condemns Israeli Occupation Prison Policies
In light of the upcoming Muslim holiday, Eid al Fitr, marking the end of Ramadan, the Palestinian Authority’s Committee for Prisoners’ Affairs condemned Israel’s policies and practices in regards to Palestinian prisoners.
Ethnic Cleansing: Israeli Occupation Orders Palestinian Village To Be Demolished After Ramadan
Israeli authorities ordered the demolition of homes in a village south of Hebron to be carried out after Ramadan, Israeli watchdogs said on Wednesday.Rabbis for Human Rights and B’Tselem said in a statement that pressure from Israeli settlers had led to the decision to carry out demolition orders in the village of Khirbet Susiya after Ramadan, although a high court hearing regarding the case is currently scheduled for August 3.
Daily Arrests Continue: Israeli Occupation Forces Detain Three Palestinians From West Bank Districts
Israeli forces early Thursday detained three Palestinians, including a minor, from multiple West Bank districts, said security sources.
RAMALLAH (Ma’an) – In light of the upcoming Muslim holiday, Eid al Fitr, marking the end of Ramadan, the Palestinian Authority’s Committee for Prisoners’ Affairs condemned Israel’s policies and practices in regards to Palestinian prisoners.
Eighty-four percent of the prisoners are from the West Bank.
Israeli Occupation Issues Administrative Detention Orders against 27 Palestinians
Israeli authorities on Tuesday issued administrative detention orders against 27 Palestinian prisoners, according to the Palestinian Prisoner’s Club (PPC).
Israeli Occupation Arrests 7 Palestinians in West Bank, Raze Land in Hebron
Israeli forces Wednesday arrested seven Palestinians during separate incidents and incursions in two West Bank districts and in Jerusalem, as well as razed agricultural land to the west of Hebron, according to local and security sources.
2 Children Injured By Israeli Ordnance Explosion In Gaza
Two Palestinian children were injured as an unexploded Israeli ordnance blew up in eastern Gaza City on Wednesday.
President Abbas Calls On Diaspora To Return And Invest In Palestine
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas yesterday called on Palestinian expatriates to come back, invest in Palestine and contribute to building its economy.
Israeli Extremist Groups Seize Three Palestinian East Jerusalem Homes
Groups of Israeli settlers on Wednesday morning seized three apartments in Silwan east Jerusalem neighborhood, under the Israeli absentee property law.
Israeli Occupation Forces Storm Homes In Northern West Bank Village
Israeli troops stormed and searched several houses while raiding the northern West Bank village of Kafr Qaddum in Qalqiliya at dawn Wednesday.
Palestinian Truck Driver Escapes Ambush By Israeli Extremists
A Palestinian truck driver escaped an abduction attempt by a group of Israeli settlers on Tuesday night while traversing a main road between Nablus and Qalqiliya in the northern West Bank, says Palestinian official.
GAZA CITY (Ma’an) — The Palestinian minister of public works and housing for the Unity Government on Sunday announced the beginning of a new project to build 1,000 housing units in the Gaza Strip.
Mufeid Hasayneh said at a news conference that his ministry had a method to build a ground floor for each family whose homes were destroyed during the 2014 war in the first phase of the project.
The remainder of the floors are to be built in later phases.
Hasayneh said he expected the construction to be completed in a short period if Israel allows the construction material into the enclave without delay.
A new report by the Israeli newspaper ‘Jerusalem Post’, based on unnamed sources within the Palestinian Authority, claims that the PA has agreed to pursue no formal charges against Israel in the International Criminal Court (ICC), in exchange for the release of tax money that had been illegally seized by Israeli authorities.
The Head of the Political Committee in Legislative Council and the member of PLO Abdullah Abdullah told Donia Al-Watan Newspaper that these statements published by the Israeli newspaper Ma’aref are baseless. “The move toward the ICC is a right for Palestine as a member country in the United Nation, the money Israel freezes is Palestinian money but Israel steals it and exchanges for the PA after it piracies most of it,” Abdullah added.
Israel froze the transfer at the beginning of January, after the Palestinians moved to join the ICC, where they would be able to sue Israeli officials.
The decision came 10 days after Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was reelected and subsequently chosen to form the next government.
Abdullah said that Palestinian and Israeli officials convened yesterday to discuss the transferring of tax revenues referring that Israel attempted to pay Israeli pills from the Palestinians money. “We rebuff Israeli seizure for Palestinian money, insist as well to take all our rights,” Abdullah told Donia Al-Watan, “there is no connection between the release of tax revenues and the Palestinian move to ICC,” he added.
Abdullah said that the rumors about suspending the move to ICC aim to disturbance and chaos, it may be to face the pressure on the Israeli government due to the calls by Israeli security services for releasing the Palestinian money as the continuing of halting tax revenues will cause uncontrollable situation.
Tareq Hajjaj contributed reporting.
RAMALLAH (Ma’an) — Israeli authorities on Sunday evening released Jamil al-Barghouthi, the head of the Palestinian Authority committee against the separation wall and settlements, from Ofer prisoner west of Ramallah.
Al-Barghouthi was detained from Nabi Saleh village on Saturday during a march marking the 39th anniversary of Palestinian Land Day.
Al-Barghouthi was appointed to replace Ziad Abu Ein who died after being assaulted by Israeli soldiers during a demonstration in the village of Turmusayya in the Ramallah district on Dec. 10.
GAZA CITY (Ma’an) — Mayor of Rafah Subhi Radwan announced on Sunday that the Palestinian government has decided to fund a $24 million medical complex in Rafah city in the southern Gaza Strip.
In a news conference in Gaza City, Radwan said the government had earmarked 40 dunams (10 acres) of land for the project.
He added that designs and blueprints have been prepared and Rafah municipality would soon begin excavation work on the site.
The mayor thanked Palestinian Minister of Health Jawad Awwad for his efforts, as well as those by social media activists who launched a Twitter campaign called “#Rafah-needs-hospital.”
Many users on twitter expressed their support for the campaign.
Two hospitals currently provide medical services to the population of Rafah district, Abu Yousif al-Najjar Hospital and the European Hospital.
However, while the former is limited by a lack of equipment, the second is difficult to access, especially during wars, because of its location near the northeastern borders with Israel.
Abu Yousif al-Najjar Hospital was shelled by Israeli forces during the 50-day war between Hamas and Israel last summer.
Across the Gaza Strip, 17 out of 32 hospitals as well as 50 out of 97 primary health centers were damaged during the conflict, according to a UN Office for the Coordination of Human Affairs (OCHA) report last September.
Six hospitals were forced to close during the conflict and four primary health centers were totally destroyed.
Large swathes of the Gaza Strip remain in ruin following the war, which killed more than 2,300 Gazans and left 100,000 homeless.
RAMALLAH (Ma’an) — A large convoy of medical supplies is expected to reach the Gaza Strip on Tuesday afternoon, the Palestinian Authority Ministry of Health said.
The convoy of 12 trucks set out from Nablus on Monday and is said to be carrying 140 medical packages worth 11 million shekels ($2.7 million).
PA Minister of Health Jawwad Awwad told Ma’an that the convoy was sent “by directive of the President and the Prime Minister.”
He said the shipment contains medicine for heart disease, cancer, digestive and respiratory conditions, and also includes diabetes medication and antibiotics.
He said it also contains reagents for laboratory tests, as well as supplies for operation rooms and emergency departments.
Ten percent of the shipment’s worth was donated by the Islamic Relief in Washington.
The Gaza Strip, which has been under an Israeli blockade since 2007, suffers a severe shortage of medical supplies. The conflict between Hamas and Israel last summer saw more than 11,000 Gazans injured.
Tension between Hamas and the Fatah-dominated Palestinian Authority has been detrimental to the supply of aid.
In December, the Ministry of Health accused Hamas officials in Gaza of stealing medicines and supplies sent to the coastal strip.
The ministry also said that assistance to Gaza caused serious shortages in the West Bank.
Medical supplies have also reached Gaza from Egypt, through the Rafah crossing, including 220 tons of supplies in December, but the crossing has only been opened four times since October.